The new Welsh for Adults term starts on 28 September, and once again we have a full programme of courses at all levels in Cardigan and the surrounding area, so it doesn’t matter if you are a complete beginner, are returning to learning after a break of a few years, are looking for an opportunity to practise your Welsh and gain confidence, or want to improve your written Welsh – there is something for everyone.
There are almost as many reasons for learning Welsh as there are people learning the language. Quite often we get people who have gained a Welsh-speaking partner or family, and there are quite a few others who know that an ability to speak Welsh will boost their career prospects.
One student who works as a teacher in a primary school conducted her first Assembly in Welsh last year. She was incredibly nervous beforehand, and was amazed when the children told her, “Miss, we never knew that you could speak Welsh!” Another works as a speech therapist, and one of the first times she used her Welsh was with an elderly patient recovering from a stroke. The tears of joy on the old lady’s face are something she will not forget in a hurry.
Another former student is now practising as a midwife in Ceredigion, and another works in occupational health. Yet another got a desperately needed job in a local café because she showed that she could speak Welsh to the customers.
Parents with children in local schools are another group, and young children love teasing their mums and dads when they start learning. But imagine being able to sit down and help your child learn to read in Welsh or being able to help them with their homework.
A lot of people decide to learn Welsh because they want to be able to speak to friends and neighbours and understand what is going on.
There are others who come to classes already understanding quite a lot of Welsh because their parents spoke it but decided not to pass the language on to their children. In the case of a policeman originally from Llanelli, it was like watching a dam burst as he found his Welsh legs and would not stop talking when he realised he could speak as well as listen.
Others go on to discover the very rich cultural heritage that belongs to the language.
There are many more reasons, but what all of these groups have in common is that very often learners who do stick with it end up playing an active part in the life of their communities.
Learning Welsh really did change their lives, so stop putting off that decision and take the plunge.
There are classes at all levels in the daytime and the evening. There are “intensive” courses for four hours a week, and slower paced two hour courses.
For more information, go to www.learnwelshinmidwales.org or phone 0800 876 6975.
Alternatively, for an informal chat and advice, you can contact one of our tutors directly:
Nic Dafis email@example.com tel. 01239 654561
Philippa Gibson firstname.lastname@example.org tel. 01239 654561
Richard Vale email@example.com tel. 01239 711653
Course Title | Code | Venue | Day | Time | Start Date | Lenght (Sessions) | Fee Per Term: Full/Conc
- Fun on Friday (NA301)Aberystwyth, Old College Friday 10:00-15:00 20/05/16 (1 day) £10/£6
- Intensive Summer Course 2016 (NA100)Aberystwyth, Aberystwyth University (P5) Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00 01/08/16 (20 days) Phone for price
- Summer School (NA302)Aberystwyth, Old College Mon-Fri 10:00-15:00 04/07/16 (5 days) £30/£22
- January School (NA200)Aberystwyth, Old College Friday 10:00-15:0022/01/16 (1)£10/£6
- February School (NP200)Brecon, NPTC Group Brecon Beacons Campus Mon-Tue 09:30-15:30 15/02/16 (2 days) 20/£12
- Easter School (NP201)Brecon, NPTC Group Brecon Beacons Campus Mon-Tue 09:30-15:30 21/03/16 (2 days) 20/£12
- Sadwrn Siarad (NE130)Dolgellau, Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor Saturday 09:30-15:30 4/11/15 (1) £10/£6
- Sadwrn Siarad (NE201)Dolgellau, Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor Saturday 09:30-15:30 05/03/16 (1 day) £10/£6
- Easter School (NE300)Dolgellau, Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor Tue-Wed 09:30-15:3029/03/16 (2) £20/£12
- Summer School (NE301)Dolgellau, Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor Mon-Thu 09:30-15:3027/06/16 (4) £28/£20
- Fun on Friday (NB118)Felin-fach, Theatr Felinfach Friday 10:00-15:0020/11/15 (1 day)£10/£6
- Easter School (NK201)Felin-fach, Professional Education Centre Mon-Wed 10:00-15:00 21/03/16 (3 days) £25/£17
- Sadwrn Siarad (NJ101)Llanfyllin, Secondary School Saturday 09:30-15:30 07/11/15 (1 day) £10/£6
- January School (NE200)Llanuwchllyn, Gwersyll yr Urdd Glan-llyn Wed-Thu 09:30-15:30 06/01/16 (2 days)£20/£12
- Family Weekend (NE303)Llanuwchllyn, Gwersyll yr Urdd Glan-llyn Saturday 09:30-15:30 DateTBC (1 day ) £10/£6
- Easter School (NJ300)Newtown, NPTC Group Newtown Campus Thu-Fri 09:30-15:3031/03/16 (2 days) £20/£12
- Summer School (NJ302)Newtown, NPTC Group Newtown Campus Tue-Thu 09:30-15:30 12/07/16 (3 days) £25/£17
- January School (NJ200)To be confirmed, To be confirmed Sat-Sun 09:30-15:30 09/01/16 (2 days) £20/£12
- Sadwrn Siarad (NJ201)To be confirmed, To be confirmedSaturday